Monday, March 15, 2010

::Monday's inspired human: Cheong-ah Hwang::


This weeks inspired human is really quite unique, her name is Cheong-ah Hwang and she is the creator of PaperNoodle. I have never seen anyone create sculptures with paper like this, and it is really quite awesome. Cheong-ah's signature item is the "Plushpop" which is basically pop up wall art done with fiber and paper. 


Ducky -- Wall hanging pop-up art for collectors
I was first struck by her Captain America wall sculpture. There is probably a lot I could say about how great her work is, but what is the point? Let's see what she has to say...




Captain America---Paper sculpture
















Name:
Cheong-ah Hwang

Sign: Pisces
Age: 40 in March, 10th
Where can we find you (blogs, websites etc... list them all;): 
www.papernoodle.com
www.papernoodle.etsy.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/papernoodle/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/PaperNoodle/315947560703?ref=ts
What are you doing in your studio that you are most excited about right... NOW? I'm very excited----studying comic book characters right now.

What is "it" about paper that you really love? I love paper because it's been around for so long, and people are surrounded by it everyday. Paper is very intimate tool for people. Anybody and everybody transform paper into something. We write our thoughts on it, draw pictures, blow noses, making airplanes, etc.
Who or What are you most inspired by right... NOW? I've been facinated by comic book artists like Jack Kirby, John Romita Sr. and Jr. and Steve Ditko. Ok. I have to confess. I'm not a comic book geek AT ALL. My hubby is. If your husband buys stacks and stacks of comic books and read them every night next to you, and explains all the details and how important those details are, it's kinda hard not to get interested. I started to notice how beautiful the compositions, inking, coloring and styles are. I wanted to bring those characters out to the surface so bad. 
Birds--Custom made paper sculpture

















What was your first "real" job:
 
What was my first real job?----I would say that the job I held for the longest time 7 or 8 months at a bagel shop. I was a casher. It was pretty smooth. I earned just enough money to have my first exhibition, then I quit.Best advice for overcoming a creative block? I'm not the one who can give advice to anybody. Describe what it is like for you when you are in the 'zone',when you are in your most creative moment?  When I'm in my creative moment, I'm like the happiest person in the whole world. I get naturally high. (I'm not bipolar. Just to make sure.) 



Kind of amaizing work, right? Thanks for checking it out.... have a good day! If you can, please leave a comment about what you think below!


Liza

3 comments: